Home to exotic beaches and glittering skylines, Dubai has been a popular tourist destination for many reasons. The city has transformed into an ultramodern luxurious paradise with excellent architectural landmarks. Palm Islands, stunning artificial architecture in the coastal area of Dubai, gives you one more reason to add Dubai to your travel itinerary. In this blog, we will present interesting facts about The Palm Islands.
Palm Islands – A world beyond Imagination
Also known as the “eighth wonder of the world,” Palm island is one of the boldest projects in the history of Dubai and an unbelievable feat of architecture. An archipelago of three artificial islands, Palm Jumeirah, Palm Jebel Ali, and Deira Islands, was developed in the coastal area of Dubai by the well-known builder Nakheel Properties .
The construction process began in 2001, and in 2006 the construction of the Palm Jumeirah was completed and opened for investors in 2007. While the construction of the other two islands, Palm Jebel Ali and Deira Island, is still under process due to the economic crisis in 2008. The Palm Jumeirah has four main parts, which are referred to as: The Crescent, The Trunk, The Spine, and The Fronds. The vast trunk forms an entrance providing access from the mainland to the island.
The primary objective behind the island’s construction was to establish Dubai as a tourist hub and facilitate the real estate business in Dubai. Currently, the 17 fronds of the Palm Islands boast some of the UAE’s most luxurious residential properties.
Interesting Facts about Palm Jumeirah:
- One of the most surprising facts is that Palm Jumeirah covers an area of 5km, almost equivalent to 800 football fields.
- A part of Palm Jumeirah is connected to Dubai through a bridge that is 1.4 km in length. Hence, some people do not consider it an island because islands are a small part of the land in the water, completely detached from the land area.
- Famous Hollywood and Bollywood celebrities like Davis Backham and Shahrukh Khan have their villas and mansions built over this artificial island.
- Another fascinating fact about the island is that a Global Positioning System (GPS) was installed in the space at the height of about 676 kilometers from the ground to determine the inch-perfect accuracy of the palm shape.
- What is more surprising is that no steel or concrete elements are used in the construction process of the island.
- About 7 million tons of rocks from the Hajar mountains were brought to the site to form the base of the Palm Jumeirah, and 120 million cubic meters of sand dredged from the seabed were used in the construction.
- In an environment-friendly initiative, more than 12,000 trees were cultivated in a nursery and planted on the Palm Jumeirah.
- A monorail from Palm Jumeirah connects it to Dubai’s coastline, which is often used for transportation, and about 20,000 passengers use the monorail daily for commuting. The environment-friendly transportation system operates from 9:00 am to 9:45 pm daily.
- The first residents on Palm Jumeirah arrived in 2007, and it is now home to more than 500 families.
- Some sources claim that the Palm Islands are sinking in the ocean, but the builder rejects it. At the same time, some environmentalists have also argued that construction in the sea disturbs the marine environment.
Best Hotels in Palm Jumeirah:
The Palm Jumeirah is undeniably the favorite destination for a luxurious staycation. But, there are plenty of lavish hotels and resorts, so deciding on the best option becomes challenging. While the very famous Atlantis The Palm welcomes the tourists at the central position of the Palm Jumeirah, the trunk and the other crescents also hold prestigious resorts and hotels we’d like to mention here:
1. Atlantis the Palm: Atlantis the Palm is one of the best hotels in Palm Jumeirah and has a complete entertainment package with outstanding amenities that will give you an experience of life. Nestled in the pristine waters of the Arabian Gulf, The Atlantis makes the crown of the incredible Palm Islands in Dubai and offers world-class treatment in the best way possible. The hotel features the world’s largest Aquaventure waterpark, vibrant bars and clubs, luxurious rooms and suites with exotic beachfront views, and fine dining restaurants to offer you a pleasant stay.
- Complimentary Tea/coffee-making services
- Free Wifi
- Flat-screen Satellite TV
- Some deluxe rooms have an oversized spa in the bathrooms.
2. Anantara The Palm Dubai Resort: Located on the Eastern crescent of the stunning Palm Jumeirah, Anantara The Palm Dubai 5-star resort has 293 aesthetically appealing rooms and villas distributed in units of four to eight to offer privacy to the guests. The luxury villas overlook the Arabian Gulf and Palm Jumeirah and incorporate everything from spa and air-conditioners to minibars. One bedroom beach pool villa with a private infinity pool is ideal for guests seeking privacy. Anantara two-bedroom beach Pool villas are suitable for families or small groups of friends.
- Free Parking
- personal Nespresso coffee machine
- Fitness Center
- Games room
3. Rixos The Palm Hotel and Suites: Rixos The Palm Hotel and Suites is a family-friendly resort with panoramic views of the turquoise waters of the Arabian Gulf and Dubai’s shimmering skyline. While the little ones enjoy entertainment activities at the Rixos kids club, adults can enjoy 100 brands of international beverages at the Rixos restaurants and bars. Another feature that delights the guests is the Turkish-inspired Anjana Spa, which provides rejuvenating wellness treatments. Rixon the Palm Hotel is located 47 kilometers from the Dubai International airport and 17 kilometers from the Mall Of Emirates.
- Balcony offering stunning views
- Minibars and free wifi
- Swimming Pool
- Family rooms
4. Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa: The luxury 5-star beach resort located on the East Cresent of the Palm Jumeirah offers a rejuvenating escape and boasts the rich culture of the South Pacific. Surrounded by the lush green landscapes on the shores of the Arabian Gulf, Sofitel Dubai is a luxury address for a dream vacation. Inspired by the French way of living, the hotel offers a range of accommodations, from elegant hotel rooms to deluxe suites and luxury villas. From Casual to upscale restaurants, guests can indulge in the world’s finest culinary experiences at the restaurants and bars in the resort. Amenities at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort include:
- Bar/ Lounge
- Beach Access
- Free Parking
- Fitness Center with Gym facilities
- Swimming Pool
5. Andaz By Hyatt: Located on the trunk of the Palm Jumeirah, Andaz By Hyatt offers 261 air-conditioned rooms, including 34 suites, with every room decorated with Arabic flavors and breathtaking ocean views. A separate adult-only Cabana Pool, swimming pool, Ora Boutique Spa, and a 300-meter private beach offer a luxurious holiday at the hotel. Other amenities include:
- 24-hours Fitness
- Beach volleyball.
- Complimentary Wifi access
- Laptop compatible safes
The largest artificial island on the planet, Palm Island, is a wonder in itself. The Palm Jumeirah is home to some of the Luxurious resorts in UAE and an ultimate destination for a refreshing vacation. A staycation at the lavish resorts of Palm Jumeirah is all you need for an unforgettable Dubai Trip.